Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Postscript and a Resurrection

So I've been away for a while. We had a baby, life got busy... you know how it is.

The baby is interesting, though, from the point of this blog. He's the reason for this postscript (and partially the resurrection, but I'll get to that.) We didn't share much of our journey to have children with people, but suffice it to say that it wasn't an easy journey. It took two years and some medical interventions to have Lauren. When she was six months old, we started trying for another, knowing it may take a while. After about three years and more interventions, we gave up. One day in a gorgeous park in Edmonds, Jeremy and I looked at each other over Lauren's head and just knew we were done. It was the most peaceful and yet gut-wrenching moment of my life.

So how did we get another baby and how in the world does it relate to this blog? Well, after that day in the park, I threw myself into getting in shape and eating right. I hired a trainer and worked out at least three times a week. I ran, lifted weights, stair-mastered, lifted more weights... you get the idea. I also worked hard to eat right. I was still blogging then and even when I stopped, I was still eating well. (We just won't talk about that trip to NC over Christmas, okay?) Anyway, I was doing my best to do everything right. If we couldn't have another baby, I was going to take the time to get in the best health I could.

And then in January, after our trip to NC, I started to feel... odd. After much angst and trying to talk myself out of getting excited, I took a test and found out we were expecting Andrew. There's not a word in the English language that conveys my shock. Happily, he was born healthy nine months later and is a love and joy in our lives.

So, the blog. Now, I'm not implying causation at all, but I can't help but think it's odd? funny? telling? that we tried and tried for six years to have children and had a terrible time. I then spend six to eight months getting myself in the best shape of my life, eating healthy, eating organic, and I suddenly get pregnant? Can I call it a correlation? Something more than just a coincidence? Even if it wasn't, all that working out and healthy eating let me have an easy pregnancy, so I'm thankful for that.

The resurrection part is this: Now that Andrew is six months old and I'm finally getting to sleep more and getting a schedule down, I'm hoping to focus more on our eating. While we haven't been doing badly, I want to refocus and do it right. I still want to work on Lauren's eating (no change there) and now have the added wrinkle of having two kids and much less time. We'll see how I do.

I'll be back tomorrow with the menu for the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment